The California Ethics & Democracy Project would like to announce the Municipal Clerk Roadmap and 6-Way Test. Composed with input from more than 180 Municipal Clerk professionals, the Roadmap and 6-Way Test are the first work products of the California Ethics & Democracy Project.
Municipal Clerk Decision Roadmap and 6-Way Test
The Municipal Clerk Decision Roadmap and 6-Way Test were formulated to help Municipal Clerks consider the practical and ethical factors in their decision making process. While all elements do not necessarily apply to nor can be met for every situation, they’re a good framework through which to consider the challenges and responsibilities of the profession.
1. Basic Research:
What basic research do you need to complete and consider? These questions can be used at any time, or more than once.
- What factors would you need to know more about?
- Is this a personal or professional moral dilemma?
- What are your options and are they practical?
- Is there a precedence to consider?
2. General Considerations:
How would (or would not) this situation relate to the City Clerk 6-Way Test?
- Is it FAIR and UNBIASED?
- Is it TRUE and FACTUAL?
- Is it LEGAL?
- Will it build CONFIDENCE and PUBLIC TRUST?
- What are your RESPONSIBILITIES?
- Is it in keeping with the IIMC CODE of ETHICS?
3. Professional Guidelines:
How would (or would not) this situation relate to the IIMC Code of Ethics?
Believing in freedom throughout the World, allowing increased cooperation between Municipal Clerks and other officials, nationally and internationally, I do hereby subscribe to the following principles and ethics which I affirm will govern my personal conduct as a member of IIMC:
- To uphold constitutional government and the laws of my community;
- To so conduct my public and private life as to be an example to my fellow citizens;
- To impart to my profession those standards of quality and integrity that the conduct of the affairs of my office shall be above reproach and to merit public confidence in our community;
- To be ever mindful of my neutrality and impartiality, rendering equal service to all and to extend the same treatment I wish to receive myself;
- To record that which is true and preserve that which is entrusted to me as if it were my own; and
- To strive constantly to improve the administration of the affairs of my office consistent with applicable laws and through sound management practices to produce continued progress and so fulfill my responsibilities to my community and others.